Buying a toddler basketball hoop for your child means fun and games plus developing skills! My kids love playing with our hoop in our backyard. When they have friends over, they play with it even more. We purchased it when my son was two years old. Now he and his little sister like playing with it together. It’s fun to have a toddler basketball hoop that adjusts for their ages and has lasted this long.
Basketball can be a great way for toddlers to improve dexterity and hand-eye coordination. It can also help them learn social skills when they play with others. Playing basketball is a great activity for kids to have fun while learning physical and social skills. There are plenty of toddler basketball hoops available for your kids to start playing and having fun! Get your kids running around and playing, whether it’s indoors or outdoors, with one of these options down below!
While shopping, we suggest considering these three things: longevity, safety, and fun.
How to Choose A Basketball Hoop for A Toddler or Preschooler
- Longevity. When buying a toddler basketball hoop, take into consideration both how well it’s made and whether it will be a toy your child can use for very many years. Kids grow quickly. You may want to buy one that adjusts so your kids can play with it for years, or purchase a cheaper, small one then plan on buying another one when they outgrow that.
- Safety. When buying products for your preschooler or older kid, your first concern is typically safety. With a basketball hoop, you want one that’s made of durable materials and can be stabilized. Look for strong materials and the ability to add sand or water to the base.
- Fun. If you want your kid to be interested in basketball, make it fun. They won’t enjoy a toy they can’t play with, so picking the right height matters. Colorful products make an impact and as they age, they will want something that gets challenging. Find a toddler basketball hoop that will keep your kids engaged.
Top 13 Fun Basketball Hoops for Toddlers and Preschoolers
|Little Tikes EasyScore|
|Step2 Shootin' Hoops|
|LAZY BUDDY Toddler Playground|
|AugToy Basketball Hoop|
|VTech Smart Shots |
|Bath Toy Basketball Hoop|
|Portable Basketball Hoop|
|Hoop Arcade Game|
|LotFancy Basketball Hoop for Kids|
|Pro Indoor Mini Basketball Hoop|
| 5 in1 Sports Activity Center|
|Ball Pit with Basketball Hoop|
|Kiddie Play Basketball Hoop|
Our Top Rated Plastic Basketball Hoop for Young Kids
1. Little Tikes EasyScore Basketball Set
- Indoor and outdoor adjustable height
- Oversized rim
- Three basketballs included
- Can add water or sand to base for stability
- Best seller
- Easy to assemble and adjust
- Sturdy backboard
- Doesn’t adjust very tall
- If kids pull on the rim, it pops down or even falls off. No dunking!
Our Recommended Ages: 18 months to 4 years old
One of the sturdiest options for indoor or outdoor use is this Little Tikes toddler basketball hoop. This is what we’ve had in our backyard and it’s still holding up well after four years (including three cold, snowy winters). We’ve filled the base with both water and sand and found that sand works the best. It comes with basketballs, all of which we’ve lost, but the hoop is wide enough that a variety of other balls also work, including soccer balls. It’s easy to adjust the height, although it doesn’t go very tall. However, it’s a great short size to start with. Adjusting from a height low enough to toddlers to something that would be appropriate for an older child might not be a very stable design.
2. Step2 Shootin’ Hoops Junior Basketball Set
- Adjustable height from 30” to 48”
- Large backboard
- Woven net
- Drink holders in the base
- Can add water or sand to base for stability
- Easy assembly
- Balls deflate easily
- Piece that holds the pole up when adjusted taller slips out, causing the hoop to drop down
Our Recommended Ages: 18 months to 5 years old
Step2’s adjustable hoop, which competes against the Little Tikes in similarities, has a different adjusting system, which they say means kids can adjust it themselves. Drink holders in the base are an interesting addition, which probably wouldn’t be used much and instead mean you have two circles in the base that will collect water, dirt, dust, and other debris. Like most Step2 products, it’s made of durable material.
Top Rated Play Center with a Basketball Hoop
3. LAZY BUDDY Toddler Playground
- Indoor or outdoor fun
- Good quality
- Several activities
- Includes basketball
- Stairs are a bit narrow
Our Recommended Ages: 2-5 years old
If you’d like your child to shoot hoops from up above, here’s an option! This hoop is built for little kids, but provides more options than simply shooting hoops. Kids can climb up and slide down then shoot a hoop. The basketball hoop is small so it’s a good starter option. It’s a safe and easy challenge for little kids to play on this. This playset is great inside or outside.
4. AugToy Basketball Hoop
- Great for indoors or outdoors
- Big rim
- Adjustable heights from 2.5′ to 5.1′
- Not strong enough for rough play
Our Recommended Ages: 2-5 years old
If you’re looking for an affordable option to get your kid interested in basketball without having to invest too much, this could be it! Consider this as a good starting basketball hoop at a reasonable price. With several different height possibilities, it can last a young child several years. Fill the base with water or sand for stability.
5. VTech Smart Shots Sports Center
- Basketball and soccer activity center
- Includes light up LED scoreboard that counts up to 10 scores
- Fun lever for kids to reset the score count
- Includes early learning center with shapes, numbers, sounds, and songs
- Includes basketball and soccer ball
- Fun indoor play for rainy and cold days
- Requires 3 AA batteries
- Very small
- Indoor only
Our Recommended Ages: 12 months to 3 years old
Another hoop combination option, this set includes electronics for added fun and engagement. Of course, that means you’ll need batteries, too! There are some fun features on this one that will be very engaging for little kids including shape buttons, bright colors, sounds and the light-up score display. The lever to reset the score is large enough for kids to do it themselves. While it’s good quality and stable so it won’t fall over, it’s also small so best for the younger toddlers.
6. Best Choice Basketball Hoop with Wheels
- Constructed of heavy-duty steel
- Sturdy hoop will withstand outdoor weather
- Movable with wheels in the stand
- Good option for a hoop that’s in between the baby size and a regulation size hoop
- Misleading description about height adjusting to 8-feet, but that’s the top of the backboard, not the hoop
- Requires at least two people to put it together
- Not strong enough for a kid to dunk on it (better for smaller kids)
- When extended to full height, backboard sways when the ball hits it
Our Recommended Ages: 4-9 years old
For a sturdier option that works great for older toddlers to young kids, there’s the Best Choice Products Hoop. It’s on wheels, making it easier to move around after you’ve filled the base with water or sand. The shortest setting puts the rim about five feet off of the ground and it adjust up to about six feet. The manufacturer describes the hoop as adjusting up to 8 feet, but that’s the height of the backboard, not the rim; it’s simply something to be aware of. Filling with sand is easier with a funnel and dry sand (play sand is often a bit wet and would take longer to fill up). Filling with water may freeze if you have cold winters so be aware of expansion in the base!
7. Tuko Arcade Basketball Hoop
- Simple assembly, no tools required
- Easy storage
- Sturdy and strong
- Small frame and balls
- Difficult to untangle net
Our Recommended Ages: 3-8 years old
This basketball set definitely has a wow-factor! No need to go to the arcade or wait for the weather to clear up in order to play basketball. Also, since the ball comes right back to you you don’t need to rebound it. It is sure to appeal to kids of all ages and is really well-built so it will provide your whole family years of entertainment!
8. LotFancy Basketball Hoop for Toddlers
- Interactive lights
- Musical sound effects
- 2 height positions (18″ and 21″)
- 3 AA batteries required
- Parents need to watch their children while playing to make sure they don’t bite the balls
- For indoor use only, not suitable outdoors
Our Recommended Ages: 1-3 years old
Toddlers will love this hoop! Since its so small, its just their size. Their confidence will soar when they make a basket and hear a clapping sound effect then see the ball roll out at the base. Because of the size and interactive play, this set is best for young babies although the height can be adjusted as they grow.
9. Indoor Mini Basketball Hoop Set
- Versatile, can be hung almost anywhere
- Easy to install and comes with all the mounting hardware needed
- Great value
- Durable and well-made
- Need to remind children not to hang on the hoop
- May need to drill holes in your wall
Our Recommended Ages: 3 years old and up
The fun thing about this hoop is that it can be mounted to the wall, hung on the door, or even installed on a baby gate! Since it’s so easy to set up, you can always move it higher as your child grows. Kids (and adults!) will enjoy the spring loaded rim that bounces back after a shot is made. Plus, the backboard is shatter resistant and foam padding minimizes the noise. Everyone will agree that this hoop exceeds expectations!
10. 5 in 1 Sports Activity Center
- 5 sports for the price of 1
- Adjustable height (4-6 feet)
- Lightweight so it needs to be weighted down
- Instructions are unclear
Our Recommended Ages: 3-12 years old
This cute, brightly-colored sports activity center has it all! It will introduce kids not only to basketball, but also football, soccer, golf, and ring toss. I suspect you won’t be able to resist playing with your child, which will lead to bonding experiences and a stronger parent-child relationship. And since you can adjust the height your child will play with it for years!
11. 3 Bees & Me Bath Toy Basketball Hoop
- Fun in the bathtub
- Hooks over the top of the bath faucet
- Doesn’t fall off or tip over like suction-cup hoops
- Designed to keep mold out
- Certified BPA free, phthalate free, lead free
- Foam balls so they don’t get mold inside
- Foam balls so little kids might take a bite out of them
- Balls become waterlogged easily
Our Recommended Ages: 2-5 years old
This hoop is a great design, snugly fitting over a bathtub faucet with straps that tighten it. You can find other places to put it as well, such as in the car. The balls are made of foam. Sure, they don’t grow mold inside of them, but they do fill up with water easily and little kids may bite pieces out of them.
12. Ball Pit with Basketball Hoop
- It’s a ball pit, too!
- Can be a play area for crawling babies
- Folds up for storage
- Can hold over 900 balls
- Not sturdy enough for outdoor use
- Need to purchase balls separately
- Folding up for storage is a little difficult
- Sides are flimsy so not good for a rough toddler
Our Recommended Ages: 12 months to 4 years old
This ball pit/basketball hoop is a fun option. It’s bigger than expected so you’ll want to buy lots of balls to fill it up (It doesn’t come with any balls). This can be a fun, indoor toy for younger kids where they’ll be engaged with all of the balls to play in. It may get more play time than simply a basketball hoop because kids will want to play in it even when they’re not interested in trying to get the balls in the hoop. If you feel like your kid won’t be initially interested in shooting hoops, try this out, and see how long it takes before they develop that interest!
13. Kiddie Play Adjustable Basketball Hoop
- Adjustable height
- Stable base
- Comes with a basketball and pump
- No assembly instructions are included
- Sometimes the base leaks so it’s not ideal for indoor use
Our Recommended Ages: 3 years to 5 years
This hoop can be adjusted to several heights between 2 to 4 feet, an important feature so you can customize it to your child as they grow. Also, parents can ensure the hoop’s stability by filling this base with sand or water. With a metal stand and hoop, it is well-built and seems strong enough to withstand rough play. You can even remove the hoop and attach it to a wall if you want to switch it up. If you ask me, this hoop is the perfect option for toddlers!
Our Recommended Toddler Basketball Hoop
Now that we’ve reviewed 12 of the best toddler basketball hoop options out there, you should be able to find the one that works for your budget and preference. There are some really fun combination options that I would have considered purchasing when my kids were little if I’d known about them then! But, our Little Tikes hoop has stood the test of time and we highly recommend it. It’s a classic and still going strong! Just remember that a great basketball hoop is the one that will be fun for you and your kids. Have fun playing together!
Can toddlers learn to shoot a basketball?
With patience and practice, a toddler will learn how to shoot a basketball as long as they are playing with an age appropriate set. While some toddlers may instinctively understand how to do it, others will imitate what they see their family do. Just ensure the basketball is small enough for them to grip and that the hoop can be adjusted to their height.
What are good features in a toddler basketball hoop?
First and foremost, look for a safe basketball hoop that is both stable and can be secured by adding sand or water to the base. Additionally, you’ll want to get one constructed with strong, durable materials so your children can play with it for years to come. Most of all, make sure to select a basketball hoop that will be fun for your toddler.
How tall should a toddler basketball hoop be?
In order to build confidence, you’ll want a basketball hoop to be at a reasonable height for your toddler. If it is too out of reach they may lose interest in the game, finding it too difficult to make a basket. Many toddler basketball hoops have adjustable heights so parents can easily lower or raise the hoop as needed to ensure an optimal height.
Other Toddler Gifts Ideas
- Gifts and Toys for 2-Year-Old Boys
- Gifts and Toys for 3-Year-Old Boys
- Building Sets for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Swim Floaties for Toddlers and Preschoolers
Other Resources for Parents of Toddlers
- Secrets of Toddler Discipline
- Potty Training Readiness
- Toddler Development Milestones
- Predicting a Child’s Adult Height