Before I tell you about some of the best water bottle options out there, let me applaud your decision to make this purchase. Not only will a reusable water bottle teach your adolescent about reducing waste, but it will also encourage increased water consumption which has more than a handful of health benefits for all of us. I’m not a medical expert by any means, but I understand that drinking plenty of water ensures your body functions properly, gives you energy, and even helps your complexion. What hard working teen doesn’t need these things in their life? And with Covid-19, it’s more important than ever for teens to have their own source of water that won’t spread germs!
If you’re in the market for a water bottle for your teen or tween, you are in the right place! You’ll find a variety of water bottles suitable for kids that age on this list, ranging from economical to expensive, plastic to stainless steel, with simple to elaborate designs. Before you read on, ask yourself these questions to make sure you select a water bottle that best fits your teen’s or tween’s needs.
Questions to Ask
- What is the best size for your teen or tween? You’ll want to think about how much water it holds but also its dimensions. Some water bottles are compact but will need to be refilled several times a day. Others hold a massive amount of liquid but are bulky, making them so big that they don’t fit well in purses, backpacks, or cup holders. All have their advantages, it just depends on how your teen will be using the water bottle.
- What kind of spout do they like? Talk to your teen about their spout preferences. While lids with straws are most popular, some people prefer a free flowing spout so they can hydrate quickly without sucking. However, without a straw it is difficult to drink quietly and politely so that won’t work for settings like school.
- What is it made of? We all want a product which is BPA and toxin free. Most water bottles are either made of plastic or stainless steel. Although plastic is not environmentally friendly, it won’t dent or scratch as easily as stainless steel options. But plastic parts do tend to wear down and break.
- How much do you want to spend? Water bottles range in price from $10 to $80. If you feel like your teen is responsible enough to care for a higher-end water bottle, go with a nice one because it will last a long time. But if you worry it will get lost or stolen, a cheaper option might be a better fit.
- Does it have a warranty? Some companies stand behind their products and will replace parts if they get broken or leak. Personally, I would rather buy a product with satisfaction guaranteed in case there are any problems.
Top Water Bottles for Tweens and Teens
|Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottles|
|CamelBak Chute Mag|
|Plastic Water Bottles|
|bubba Flo Duo|
|Polar Bottle Sport|
Best Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottles
Since teens often appreciate name brands, let’s begin with one of the most popular water bottles around. The Hydro Flask is a best-seller for good reason: it works like a champ! Thanks to a strong double insulation design, cold drinks will stay cold for up to 24 hours and hot drinks will stay hot for up to 6 hours. It’s perfect for a day sledding or making memories with friends!
- Fits car cup holders
- Dishwasher safe
- Doesn’t come with a sipping cap so you have to buy that piece separately
- Prone to dents and scratches
Your teen will love the Iron Flask because of its versatility! It comes with three lid accessories so they can switch them out depending on what they’re up to. You will love this option because of the incredible customer service; Iron Flask stands behind their product and will replace it if there are any problems including dents. You can’t beat that! Your teen will love having this bottle around on his next skateboarding adventure!
- Sleek design with an engraved logo that won’t chip
- 3 lids are included (straw, flip, and stainless steel)
- 100% satisfaction guarantee!
- Only the smaller sizes fit in car cup holders (14oz, 18oz, and 22 oz)
- Hand wash only, not dishwasher safe
CamelBak Chute Mag
This sporty water bottle comes from CamelBak, which is known for their quality and lifetime guarantee. It comes in 26 colors and a variety of sizes with a capacity ranging from 12 to 40 ounces. The cap is magnetic to help you keep track of it on the stainless steal bottle, and it’s a reasonable price.
- “Sweat proof”
- Double-wall vacuum insulated for temperature
- Easy carry handle
- You may not find the size and color combo you want
- Not dishwasher safe
Most teens I know like to express their style in everything they do. For that reason the Simple Modern water bottle may suit them perfectly. Unlike other options, this one doesn’t feature a big logo so there is plenty of room to customize the look with stickers or decals. Plus it comes in nearly 50 color options ranging from solid shimmering colors to engraved patterns, wood grain to marble, and ombre to nebula. Your teen is sure to find a look they love!
- Leak-proof straw lid
- Keeps ice frozen all day long
- Not suitable for hot drinks
- Not dishwasher safe
One of the best features of the HYDRO CELL is that it’s slip-resistant. Some water bottles perspire and get slippery with condensation, but not this one because of a powder coating covering the surface. This makes it easier for your teen to grip and eliminates excuses for losing it! Because of this and other awesome design features, they’ll be able to take their water bottle with them while documenting all kinds of outdoor adventures like camping, hiking, or even kayaking.
- Comes with a bonus sport cap with straw
- Won’t leak
- Lifetime warranty
- Only the smaller sizes fit in a cup holder (14oz, 18oz, 24oz)
- Ice won’t stay frozen as long as more expensive options
We all know that some teenagers tend to misplace items, especially expensive ones. If that’s the case with yours, this is the water bottle for you since it only costs less than a lot of its competitors! Despite the affordable price, this is a quality product that is definitely better than cheaper plastic water bottles. And it really is a great value since it comes with several helpful accessories including insulated covers, 2 caps, 2 straws, cleaning brushes, a carrying sleeve, and even a carabiner.
- Affordable price
- Safe – no toxic chemicals used
- The bottle and accessories can be replaced if there are any problems in the first year of use!
- Can be used with or without straw
- Includes 2 straws, cleaning brush, and carrying sleeve
- Doesn’t preserve temperature as long as more expensive options
Top Plastic Water Bottles
CamelBak is a reputable brand, known for delivering top-notch products, so you really can’t go wrong with this water bottle. What I love about this option is that it’s made of clear materials so your teen or tween can see how much of their drink is left. This is helpful because the newly designed bite valve allows 25% more flow per sip so they may finish their drink quickly.
- Available in multiple colors and sizes
- Easy to carry with a loop handle
- Dishwasher safe
- BPA free
- Some people like the mouthpiece on older CamelBak models better
- Sometimes the bite valve falls off
bubba Flo Duo
The built-in carrying loop makes this water bottle easy to take when your teen is on-the-go. And a simple push of the button opens the flip-down cover to reveal the spout. Considering how much time teens spend with their friends, a feature like this is a big deal since it protects their drink from other people’s germs. Because of these features, the bubba Flo Duo will become your teens go-to water bottle! It’s great for sporting events, school, or everyday activities.
- Guaranteed for life
- Impact resistant
- High flow chug lid
- Only one size available (24oz)
- Not intended for hot liquids
One feature that makes this water bottle unique is that you don’t need to suck the water out. Instead, water simply flows through the spout into your mouth, quickly quenching your thirst. So if your teen or tween doesn’t like straws, this is the product for them! It is also strong enough to hold up to falls and bumps since it is shatter-proof. Overall it’s a great, basic option for any teen! If you are looking for the best water bottle for school for teens, this is a great option!
- Lock switch prevents it from opening unintentionally
- Equipped with a clip which attaches to backpacks, etc
- Prone to leaking
- Doesn’t fit in a car cup holder
- Not insulated
The Ion8 is perfect for a teen or tween who loves exercise and fitness! Young athletes will appreciate the one-touch spout cover which locks closed to protect your drink from dirt and germs. It also features a vented flow of liquid so they can hydrate quickly. And since it is about the width of a soda can, it easily fits into any car or bike cup holder. The slim size makes it convenient to take on any adventure whether to the mountains, the lake, or the beach.
- Preserves hot and cold temperatures
- Odor resistant
- Made with safe non-toxic BPA-free plastic
- Small holding capacity, only comes in 12oz, 18oz, 24 oz, and 32oz
- Some people don’t like the sticker that comes on the side
With volume measurements down the side, your teen can get in the habit of tracking how much water they consume every day. A handy loop makes it convenient to tote around at school, work, or wherever your teen spends their time. This is another fantastic option for anyone who doesn’t care for straws which you need to suck or bite since it has a chug cap.
- Dishwasher safe
- Wide mouth (ice fits easily)
- Lightweight and slim
- Doesn’t fit in all car cup holders
- Measurement marks rub off after normal use
Polar Bottle Sport
The very popular Polar bottle sport is plastic squeeze bottle that holds 20-24 ounces, depending on the one you choose. It comes at a low price and has a lifetime guarantee. People love its sporty look and the fact that this product is made in the USA. This option is also dishwasher safe and very easy to clean.
- Comes in 30 patterns
- BPA-free and insulated
- Strap handle
- Strong tastes and smells can linger in it
- It’s insulation and sturdiness are not as good as other options
Owala Free Sip
What makes this 5 star sport and travel water bottle unique is its lid. It has a flip-top sip spout that opens with a push button to keep the spout clean. It locks and the lock doubles as a carry loop. It has a builtin straw as well as a large spout, so you can sip or swig. It’s a cup holder friendly size, and you can twist off the lid for a large opening to add ice.
- 25 ounce
- 6 vivid colors
- Dishwasher safe
- Lifetime warranty
- Can lack sturdiness, especially in the lid area
- Not for hot beverages
What do teens want in a water bottle?
When looking for a water bottle, teens always want something trendy and exciting. And right now, that’s insulated water bottles in a wide variety of colors and patterns. Most teenagers love having the most popular brand, so Hydro Flask or Iron Flask would be a great choice.
What is the best water bottle for teens at school?
The Super Sparrow is the best option for teens to use at school. It is insulated and will keep water cold all day, but unlike the other stainless steel options on this list, the Super Sparrow has a straw that pops up with the push of a button. That means teens don’t have to unscrew the cap each time they drink.
What is the best leak proof water bottle for teens?
The bubba Flo Duo is a great water bottle that doesn’t leak. It has a lock to keep the cover from coming off unintentionally. Lightweight and double-walled, this plastic bottle is a great option for kids on the go. Whether it’s a sporting event, school, or just running around town, the bubba Flo Duo will not disappoint!